Get Your Feet Wet
It is often the case that the better known a story from Scripture is, the more we miss. Here’s the story of Jesus walking on water – and even in the title, we miss the fact that Peter also walks on water. It’s so easy to overlook things when we think we know the story. Read this section slowly and see what you notice:
…Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home. After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone.
Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!”
But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!”
Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
“Yes, come,” Jesus said.
So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted.
Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?”
When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped. Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really are the Son of God!” they exclaimed. – Matthew 14:22-33 NLT
- Peter is so keen to be with Jesus that he makes the outrageous suggestion that he might walk on water like Jesus
- then he shows incredible faith by stepping out of the boat – would you do the same?
- very quickly Peter goes from great faith to fear & doubt
- he calls out to Jesus ‘save me Lord!’
- Jesus rescues him – He doesn’t abandon Peter for his lack of faith
- having been rescued, Peter’s faith is restored
- the response of Peter & the other disciples is to worship Jesus
- Peter’s doubt led to even greater faith & confidence in Jesus
– think about the story of of Jesus & Peter walking on the water
– read it once more and imagine yourself in Peter’s place
– watch the video & lose yourself in the song & the story above
– Holy Spirit, fill me;
– come and speak into my heart